Eduard 1/48 I-16 type 24 - The winter "Ishachok"

«Ishachok» means «the small donkey» on Russian. Started his career as not-trusted, speed and capricious for control plane of new generation, for some years it stand over a very popular and loved fighter for Soviet pilots.
The  Eduard kit of I-16 in 1/48 is a very good material for building a model of this famous USSR fighter plane. 
After Eduard's correcting the main error of first series of this kit — wrong form of front engine cowl by new part, the model has two major geometry mistakes — very squared form of gagrot and very tall keel. 
First of those mistakes should be fixed by 5-10 minutes of sanding, but second should be rather hard task — after correcting the tall and geometry of keel we should remake all caving in surfaces. After some minutes of thinking I decide left keel as is — but on the next Eduard's I-16 I should solve this problem.
All part looks very good and impressive at sprues, but the kit has some hidden nuances in assembly ñ as write this some later

Cockpit assembled«out-of-the-box» except adding some wire rods. Note that on this plane cockpit is rather hard to see, actually with cockpit-doors would be opened 


Places under doors were drilled, cut-off and sanded, and cockpit was assembled, painted and washing by artist oil paints. 
Worth mentioning about a four holes on instrument board was forgotten in plastic — there are two large round holes for lighting instrumental panel, and two small oval holes — for hands of climbing pilot. This 4 holes was drilled and sanded, and the round holes was filled by MicroClear for getting the satisfactory result, but, unfortunately — not very transparent as wanted. Possible I need use old technique with gluing of transparent pieces of CD box.
 
Some additional work required in the chassis bays. 2 additional transparent windows should be made — in plastic detail we can see only simple outline for that windows. Looks like on I-16 started from 18-th series the form of this windows was changed — their was squared — this fact also marginally confirmed by I-16 of Boris Safonov, exhibited in Naval Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia. Note that that Boris Safonov's plane was mixed from 2 different planes after incident.
But at the model's building time I have not that information and make windows wrong form — as on earlier series of I-16. Their made from transparent plastic — old CD box was used.
When I start to attach wings to the fuselage main hidden problem appeared — looks like the cutting-off 2-3 mm of top halves of wings are ABSOLUTELY NEEDED for glued it on theirs places. Similar problems was found in place where wings meet engine cowling — some filler are required. Note that last problem appears on another my friend, who build this kit also
The exhaust piped drilled out and glued in models immediately.

Another important trait of I-16 is over cloaking of engine bonnet on the fuselage. At the model is implemented as a simple straight-angle «step», but on this aircraft the sheet of metal just over cloaked to the fuselage. 
 
The simplest way to fix this — is a use of engraving burin for gently removing unnecessary plastic in this «step». :-) The result is satisfied.
After referring with drawings from monograph of Mikhail Maslov, I restored a couple of ports, and scribe panel lines, and start sanding works. I always use sandpaper step-by-step rind 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 for get best quality of surfaces. 
Some additional details in the emergence mechanism of chassis are required — it was made from copper wired and glued by cyanoacrylate glue. For best-looking result I use wheels by russian Equipage which has a rubber tires and resin hubs.
Another hidden problem exist in this kit — the small rear wheels broke often when you would build the kit. I DEFINETLY recommend to cut-off, drill, insert metal pin, and glue wheel on its place. It would stronger this thin part and you donít care about it saving.
Painting
Model painted with AKAN enamels with Aztek airbrush by tan nozzle. After added some layers of Future decals was applied, and famous process of «winter camo» begins.
For this kind of painting I use white Tamiya acrylic paint painted with some drops of grey — it was airbrashed and while it not fully dried VERY gently partially removed by tooth brush with some alcohol on it. 
 
After white paint is fully fried I apply some sanding by 1500 sandpaper with water also very gently.
As winter camouflage was applied on planes on airfields note that some part of models surface should be left native green color ñ place under the windscreen, for example.
After painting some layers if Furure and usually oil washing, and the coat of MicroFlat varnish finally.  
For windscreen I use vacuformed part from Classic Airframe I-152 (it has 2 details in box). Window crossing made by self-glued metal foil ñ it is a very interesting material for different model tasks.
 
Small metal details added ñ the machineguns made from small tubes and band over the engine cowls by think band of metal foil. On the last details I made a mistake ñ researching archive photos I start to think that that band was painted in white color too. Of course, this paint on it should be rather damaged and weathered for metal, but no some shining as on my model.

 
The pressure sensor was turned from wooden toothpick and glued on its place
Exhaust tubes was painted by method of dark brown paint with big part of pastel powder in it. 2 layers of this mixture gave the full matt and non-regularly surface. After it dried I add some little touches of acrylic paints.



 
In spite all of these nuances of this kit I enjoy that build and planned to build another I-16 once again, at least.
Share

Comments (0)

RSS Collapse / Expand

Registered and authorized users can post comments only.
Blogs, Props, Eduard 1/48 I-16 type 24 - The winter "Ishachok"